Sunday 5 June 2011

Beach Read

Last week we had a family holiday in beautiful Polperro, Cornwall. I took Barbara Trapido's Sex and Stravinsky after a good review in The Sunday Times caught my eye.

Loosely based on the ballet Pulcinella it is a story of family life with lost identities, coincidences and lovers re-united. I did enjoy it. I particularly liked ballet-mad Zoe who desperately wants to dance, begs her mother for lessons and devours ballet stories for girls. I also liked her mother, Caroline, a remarkably resourceful woman who makes a little money stretch a long way. Caroline's complete personality change after discovering a secret her own mother had kept from her was a little far-fetched but it kept me turning the pages. There is also the fascinating backstory of Josh and Ida Silver, humanists and activists in South Africa and parents of Zoe's father, Josh.

If you are looking for a superior holiday read, you may like this.

9 comments:

Penny said...

I'm still reading Frankie and Stankie (among many other things, which is why I say I'm STILL reading F&S). This sounds like a good one, too. Thanks! I'll look out for it! :o)

Audrey said...

I read several of her novels (Brother of the More Famous Jack is the title I remember) years and years ago and remember enjoying them very much - is this a newer one that I've missed? I'll look for it, beach or not. :)

Darlene said...

A good review in The Sunday Times means something! And that is a very eye-catching cover.

Hope you enjoyed your time in Cornwall!

Sunday Taylor said...

This book sounds like a great one to take on a vacation. And your trip to Cornwall sounds wonderful. I have always wanted to go there, and first became interested when I read "To the Lighthouse" by Virginia Woolf and knew it was set in Cornwall. I have also been watching a very funny television series "Doc Martin" which is set in a beautiful village in Cornwall.

Miss Havisham said...

Just discovered your blog. Thank you!!! A blogger that actually reads the books I read.

Mystica said...

Cover looks good!

Shelley said...

Another new and strengthening read if you're over 40: Agewise.

Vintage Reading said...

Penny, I'd like to read more Trapido. I've heard F&S is very good.

Audrey, yes BotMFJ has quite a cult following I believe, I want to read it. This is a new novel from Trapido. Cover is a bit pink and girly but that's not always a bad thing!

Darlene, it was lovely in Cornwall thanks. Yes, The Sunday Times is my second sources of reading recommendations, after book bloggers of course!

Sunday, Cornwall is a truly beautiful part England. I'd forgotten that To the Lighthouse was set there. My husband loves the Doc Martin series!

Miss Havisham, thanks for stopping by - is this a good time to say I'm not a huge Dickens fan?!! (blush)

Mystica - yes - the cover and title are more raunchy than the actual book!

Shelley, thanks to Barbara Trapido I got sunburned on the beach - so engrossed in the novel I forgot to put suncream on!

Danielle said...

I read Brother of the More Famous Jack a few years ago and really liked it. I had been eying this for a while and am happy it is in paper--and it now sits on my pile. Glad to hear more positive things about it!