Friday 3 April 2009

The Lorax and more Jane Austen

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

When my daughters were little they liked Dr Seuss books because of the brightly coloured illustrations and deceptively simple rhyme schemes. At 13 they are now old enough to appreciate the environmental message of The Lorax. Simply the best ever book about the effects of conspicuous consumption on the environment.

Caustic Cover Critic posted an unusual illustration of Pride and Prejudice by the artist Ruben Toledo here which I think is strangely beautiful and a nice antidote to all those chicklit covers they seem to be using to illustrate Austen now. I very much like the cover of Sanditon up on the excellent girlebooks who have been kind enough to publish my review. I'm going to treat myself to this book next month. Great review on Each Little World. I've also read a couple of interesting reviews of Persuasion recently. One of them here and I can't for the life of me remember where I read the other one even though I commented on it!

3 comments:

claire said...

We love The Lorax, too. My sons are also just trying to understand what it all really means.

Love those covers by Toledo! Especially the Wuthering Heights one. Vintage Classics UK also has beautiful Austen covers, here.

Vintage Reading said...

Oh those Vintage Classics covers are very attractive. I'd not seen them! Yes the Toledo Wuthering Heights is very striking - hope he does some more. Always good to meet Dr Seuss fans!

Vintage Reading said...

Oh those Vintage Classics covers are very attractive. I'd not seen them! Yes the Toledo Wuthering Heights is very striking - hope he does some more. Always good to meet Dr Seuss fans!