Wednesday, 9 September 2009

Lucy Gayheart

Much as I admire Elizabeth Taylor's writing I can only spend so long in her world before longing to escape to the plains and prairies of America with a Willa Cather novel. I've been wanting to read Lucy Gayheart for a long time. There's nothing quite like starting a new novel is there?

I'm feeling all the L M Montgomery love and I particularly liked the anonymous comment from a lady who has a copy of the novel which belonged to her mother. That's what Vintage Reads is all about. Beloved books that are passed down through the generations.


Frisbee said...

Lucy Gayheart is Joanne Woodward's favorite, and in the '90s she talked of making a movie of it. But i learned this summer through my Red Cloud tour that Willa Cather added something in her will about not making movies - she was furious about an adaptation of A Lost Lady!

So perhaps this is why Woodward's movie never came along. Wouldn't Cather be more popular if her works were dramatized?

I love Lucy Gayheart.

Rachel said...

This is another one on the TBR pile. I am yet to read a Willa Cather but I do own several and should really read them soon.

I want to come across a pile of lovely old L M Montgomery books and immerse myself in them. Elaine's posts on Random Jottings and yours about The Blue Castle have awoken a longing in me to read her. Can you believe I have lived all my 23 years without having read Anne of Green Gables?!

Minervamouse said...

Willa Cather is one of those writers I have always meant to read but have never got around to so far. That will change!
Passing on beloved books is a lovely thing to do - I inherited my late mum's copies of What Katy Did and Little Women as well as a lot of 1920's school stories that absolutely fascinated me growing up in the 1960's and I have duly passed them on to my daughters too (they both loved the first two but were not so keen on the school stories!)
Favourite vintage book though is a Victorian copy of Jane Eyre (a second edition I think) that belonged to my great-grandmother. Reading it is seriously atmospheric.
Lovely blog by the way!

tuesday said...

Nicola, you always seem to read the loveliest (most lady-like) books! You could almost begin your own line of books, like Persephone :)

I've always wondered... is the novelist Elizabeth Taylor the same as the movie star, or a different person altogether?

Minervamouse said...

I am feeling very pleased with myself as I have managed to request both Lucy Gayheart AND The Blue Castle from the library! I did try to find them to buy but The Blue Castle was only available from a very few Canadian retailers and would have cost far more than I could afford for one book! Have bought My Antonia though!
Also bought a compilation of Elizabeth Bowen's short stories as I remember reading some of her novels during my Rosamund Lehmann/Elizabeth Taylor/Katherine Mansfield phase many years ago.

zetor said...

Many thanks for your kind words and prayers following my FIL's death.

Thomas said...

Willa Cather is a goddess of literature and a goddess of the American plains. And wildly under-read.

Vintage Reading said...

Frisbee, what a brilliant book. So nice that Joanne Woodward - a woman of integrity - admires it too. What Cather novel do you recommend I read next? I've read O Pioneers, A Lost Lady, My Antonia, The Professor's House and Song of the Lark.

Rachel, I first came to LM Montgomery in my forties so you have a start on me! I think you would like Willa Cather.

Minervamouse, I love Jane Eyre, too. I'm well overdue for a re-read. How wonderful to have a Victorian edition. I've never persevered with Elizabeth Bowen I really should.

Tuesday, yes, I'm a laydee!! ET is a different person to the violet-eyed movie star. A very good writer but I find a certain coldness in her prose.

Zetor, hi, hope you are OK.
Nicola xx

Thomas, always a delight to 'meet' a Willa Cather reader. My blog is rather dominated with WC reviews because, as you say, she is a goddess of American literature.

Mad Housewife said...

You've read all my favorites. I'm planning to reread One of Ours because the Willa Cather Newsletter & Review (from the Willa Cather Foundation) devotes its latest issue to it.

I love your blog on Lucy Gayheart! Nobody reads that, and it's so good.